Russel Brothers Limited   OWEN SOUND, ONTARIO   Steelcraft Boat Builders
HOME
Earl R.

Earl R Apparently never registered commercially. Coast Guard License 38E 246. Built at Owen Sound In 1950. 155 x 8'1 x 4'5; 4 g.t.; 3 n.t.; 100 hp. "Sluicer" A very small logging tug, similar to Orville. Owned by The Great Lakes Paper Company, Fort William, ON until 1965 when their River Drive operation ended. RBF notes: Earl R. was named after Earl Rowe, who was the President of "The Great Lakes Paper Company" from 1938 to 1955.

OSMRM Collection. From Russel-Hipwell News Dec. 1950 Vol. 1 No. 3

ENLARGE to 1024 pixels wide
HOME
ENLARGE to 600 DPI SCAN

 

OSMRM Collection. From Russel-Hipwell News Dec. 1950 Vol. 1 No. 3

 

Rob Farrow comments (Oct. 19, 2017): "Most likely the "Earl R" boom boat that was owned by the Great Lakes Paper Company. She worked on the Kam River pushing logs to the Jack Ladder near Mosquito Creek. Log Drives for Great Lakes Paper Co. ended in 1965."
From http://images.ourontario.ca/gateway/1709726/comments?n=7

 

For more Russel exhibits visit Owen Sound Marine & Rail Museum 1165 1st Ave West, Owen Sound, ON N4K 4K8
(519) 371-3333     http://marinerail.com