This 26 minute 1987 interview was conducted by Archie Carnahan, at the Owen Sound Marine & Rail Museum. Archie is talking with Fred & Tom Russel, on the eve of Fred's retirement after 40 years with the company. Topics include the one dollar bill boats, company name changes, Russel Bros. local philanthropy, the move from Fort Frances and company history. Introduced by Don Capel.
OTHER VIDEOS IN THE ARCHIVE
Excerpts from the 1957 short entitled "Log Drive".
Log Drive This 1957 NFB film of the Québec log drive follows the logs from the winter forest, through rivers and rivers, over dams to the mill in Buckingham, QC. PLAY FULL FILM 20 min. MORE INFO
Russel Winch Boat 1990 compilation shows working winch boats, and the restoration and dedication of the Esnagi at the National Museum of Science and Technology. PLAY 16 min. MORE INFO
Russel Warping Tugs Here is a 1955 four minute silent video of Flamand at Rapide-Blanc, Québec. Thrilling views of tugs working near the top of the chute! PLAY HIGH RESOLUTION 4:23 MORE INFORMATION
Diving Attraction In 1979 "The Santa Maria Society" recovered Winch Boat L.O. 2 from the Rideau Canal and moved her to Morrison’s Quarry near Wakefield, QC. PLAY 16 sec. MORE INFO
July 16, 1993. This story marked the end of an era on Owen Sound's waterfront, when Russel Brothers went into bankruptcy. This site had been the original site of Polson Iron Works, where the steamship Manitoba was built for the CPR in the 1880's. Russell Brothers moved from Fort Frances in 1937 and built steel boats, oil rigs and all sorts of industrial machinery. (Courtesy RTCommunications. Published on 24 Nov 2016).
For more Russel exhibits visit Owen Sound Marine & Rail Museum 1165 1st Ave West, Owen Sound, ON N4K 4K8 (519) 371-3333 http://marinerail.com